Diabetes is a chronic metabolic kapha type of disorder in which the body is unable to make proper use of glucose resulting in high blood sugar. The blood level of sugar/glucose rises beyond the normal limits in the system that is excreted by the urinary system. Diabetes involves the imbalance of carbohydrate metabolism that is controlled by the insulin secretion of pancreas.Diabetes need to be treated at the beginning stage itself as complication can be fatal. Diabetes, if not managed properly can lead to heart attacks, strokes, blindness, nerve damage, limb amputation and impotence among others.
Cause of Diabetes in Ayurveda:
* Consumption of Kapha inducing foods like sugar, fats, potatoes and rice
* Lack of sufficient exercise
* Excessive mental stress and strain
* Excessive sleep
* Improper life style
Ayurvedic Treatments for Diabetes:
Ayurveda treatments for diabetes start with different types of sneha karmas (oilation therapy) to make sure that the body of the patient is properly oilated both externally and internally. The next step is to remove the vitiated doshas out of the body through upper and lower tracts with panchakarma treatments. After the panchakarma treatments the patient is given oral medicines including kashayams, lehyams and choornams. There will also be food restrictions.
It is amazing to know that the ayurveda acharyas had clearly specified the cause and management of diabetes thousands of years ago.Drugs and Insulin injections available for diabetes can only control the level of sugar in blood stream and may not be effective at all time. Ayurveda eliminates the disease from its very roots.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Diabetes
* Follow a balanced healthy diet
* Avoid intake of excessive sweets, carbohydrates and diary products
* Eat plenty of green vegetables, black gram, soy, fish etc
* Include at least one bitter dish in every meal
* Eat more orange and lemons.
* Avoid sleeping during daytime
* Follow daily exercise
* Avoid smoking and intake of alcohol
* Take extra care of your foot